We are currently looking for Site Captains to organize the individual sites.
Site Captains will be responsible for:
Before the event
* Arrange the location and time for your site. The location can be a branch of the Queens library, a bar, a cafe, or other space where a small group could gather. The time could be anywhere from 1 to 3 hours, or even longer if you wish and if the venue is available. (It is also possible to set up a private location in your home. This location will not be advertised to the public and would be attended only by those you invite.)
* Recruit friends and family to join your site and commit to participating.
* Communicate with Newtown Literary Alliance on a regular basis.
Before and During the event
* Arrive early and set up the space.
* Provide a menu of prompts for those who might need them. Label them clearly.
* Bring a bowl for the donations. Make a sign stating that there is a suggested donation of $5. Collect donations. (You don’t have to do a hard sell, just mention the suggested donation and pass the bowl around or leave it in an easily accessible location.) If there is WiFi, participants can access our website and donate with their credit card through a link on the page.
* Pass around a “For more info …” sheet to collect contact information (participants do not have to give information).
* Introduce yourself and Newtown Literary (information will be provided).
* Set easy ground rules for the writing time (e.g., no talking, feel free to take a break, etc). Remind people of the ground rules (e.g., turn off cell phones, no talking).
* Take pictures of the event and send them to Newtown Literary Alliance (contact information will be provided).
After the event
* Hand the donations and contact sheet to Newtown Literary Alliance (there will be easily available drop-off locations over the weekend and into the following week).
* Send a thank-you note to participants giving them information about how many people participated and how much money was raised. (We will provide you with a template that you can use).
* Write a blog post about the experience at your site (optional).
For more information on Newtown Literary Alliance, visit our website at http://www.newtownliterary.org.
To sign up as a Site Captain, email firstname.lastname@example.org.