I saw a prompt online and the word “shishkosh” popped into my head. It sounded funny and edible and something you could maybe order in a Queens deli. Since I never know exactly where I’m going in a story, I just started to write. The story took shape. I was laughing so I hoped others would too.
Mostly, I rely on dream prompts: the words I hear in my head in the morning as I cross the threshold from sleep to wakefulness.
Some time soon I am going to try to do an outline, start writing and actually know where I’m going, and see how that works out.
Visit me at http://scribbles35.wix.com/planetjanet
Readers, mark your calendars:
- On October 6, First Tuesdays presents Miranda Beverly-Whittemore at Terraza 7 Cafe at 7:00 p.m., with an open mic to follow (signups for open mic begin at 6:30). A $5 donation is suggested.
- Boundless Tales is accepting submissions for its current reading series! Submissions are considered on a rolling basis; the next reading will be October 8 and feature Hala Alyan, Steven Penchina, David Pastor, and Michael Kusen.
- On October 13 at 8:00 p.m., the LIC Reading Series presents Victor LaValle, Jim Shepard, and a special guest, plus books and drinks for sale. This free event will be held at 45-58 Vernon Blvd, Long Island City, New York 11101.
- The Oh, Bernice! reading series kicks off its season on October 17 at 7:00 p.m. at the Astoria Bookshop. John Reid Currie, Roberto Montes, Claire Van Winkle, and Emily Wallis Hughes will be featured.
- Come to Astoria Coffee on October 20 at 7:30 p.m. for the Risk of Discovery Reading Series. A half hour workshop kicks off the event, followed by an open mic and concluded by readings from Thomas Fucaloro, Christina M. Rau, Jane LeCroy, and Raven Jackson.
- Want to give your writing a kick in the pants? Heightening Stories presents the Jumpstart Your Writing online workshop with a session starting starting November 1. Sign up by October 22 to save $25.
- On October 24 at 4:00 p.m., come celebrate the book launch of Ophelia: A Botanist’s Guide by Emily Hockaday, featuring guest poet Jackie Sherbow, at Keats Bar, 42 2nd Ave, New York, New York 10017.
- Delve deep into your personal writing as Heightening Stories presents the Creative Nonfiction/Autobiographical Fiction workshop. Enrollment is open until November 4.
- Work on your development and revision skills! Heightening Stories presents the Community Writing Exercise Workshop. Enrollment is open until November 10.